The charity program to support foster families
104 children bekame “orphans” in Petrosavodsk only 2009. A children’s home cannot replace a child’s parents, therefore it is of critical importance that the public pay attention to the problem of orphans’ adoption.
Today there are 507 families in Petrosavodsk that have adopted a child, and many families are officially registered as potential adoptive parents.
There are quite a few problems connected with the lack of information about various forms of family upbringing, about the requirements for adoptive parents and the procedure itself, which, it its turn, generates a lot of myths, mostly negative, about adoption as a whole.
The insufficient informational and psychological preparation and support of adoptive parents and guardians is one of the main reasons of children returning to orphanages. The solution to the problem can be the competent assistance of psychologists, teachers and social workers, as well as special activities intended to encourage communication and exchange of experience of foster families.
At the same time this program is aimed at the promotion of different forms of family upbringing for orphaned children.
Program objective: the informational and psychological support and monitoring of foster families in the republic of Karelia.
1. Potential foster families
2. Adoptive parents and guardians in the republic of Karelia
Program goals and tasks:
1. Publication and dissemination of information concerning various forms of family upbringing, the requirements for adoptive parents and procedural matters.
2. Providing assistance to social services, orphanages and non-profit organizations in conducting training seminars for potential adoptive parents, as well as organizing special activities intended to encourage communication and exchange of experience of foster families.
3. Counseling of potential adoptive parents.
Program coordinator: Vlasova Galina (8142) 59 35 05